Ahmadinejad Takes Charge of Shiraz Explosion Case
Though official and state-owned news agencies in Iran insist that Saturday night's explosion in shiraz was "not a terrorist attack," an "informed official" said that a bomb was responsible for the explosion and that the president was unhappy that his the mosque's officials (which are affiliated with him) are blamed for the explosion.
Yesterday, an informed official working at the Shiraz governor's office told the reporter of "news website Iran" that "all experts have announced that the explosion was caused by a bomb and the party responsible for this attack has been identified." This informed official added, "high government officials in Shiraz are about to be removed from their posts" because "they had blamed the mosque's officials for the explosion without consulting the president."
In a different opinion about the source of the explosion, deputy security chief at the Ministry of Interior noted, "So far no evidence has been found regarding a planned detonation or preplanned attack in the Shiraz explosion." Yesterday, Fars news agency quoted an informed official that "the incident was caused by the presence of a weapons cache at the location left over from the Holy War exhibit," and therefore, it is pointless to speak of a terrorist attack. Similarly, the deputy of operations of the police told Fars, "Expert examinations of the scene of the event refutes the possibility of a premeditated or bombing attack."
Mehr news agency also reported that investigations were completed: "The latest expert examinations indicate that the Shiraz explosion was due to the presence of display military material and any kind of terrorist attack originating inside or outside Iran is out of the question."
These opinions are expressed while officials from the Hosseiniyeh (religious center) insist that the dead and wounded were victims of a terrorist attack. In an interview conducted at 11 p.m. Saturday night, Anjavinejad, head of the mosque where the incident took place, insisted that the attacked was a "terrorist" one and referred to the dead in the incident as "martyrs."
On the other hand, whereas the Fars news agency refutes any possibility of a Wahhabi involvement in the explosion, the website Farda referred to the Saudi Arabia-based Internet news source Ilaf and reported, "A Wahhabi group was responsible for the explosion in Shiraz." Shahab News has also reported that "Wahhabi's" were involved in the explosion in Shiraz.